School History

  • NETHERWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

    About Our School

         NETHERWOOD SCHOOL 1919 The top photo is of Netherwood School when it was a one room school house in 1919. The students pictured here are Charles Carroll, Walter Knapp, Doreen VandeWater, Marion Lasher, Inez Marshall, Ruth Carroll, Eleanor Ganse, Mary Doty Conklin, Dorothy Carroll, Alice Lamoree, Emily Lamoree and two African American children, unlabeled. This school was located farther up Netherwood Road, toward Salt Point. It burned down several years ago. There is a log home on the spot today.

         The next photo shows the students from Netherwood school when it was a one room schoolhouse. It was taken in 1949 showing the children ready for the Clinton Corners Community Day Parade dressed as Mr. McGregor and his 5 bunnies. The children shown include: Melvin Lansing, Johnny Lansing, Jeanie Hahn, Betty Gail Carroll, Marshall La Bonte and Dorothy Jane Carroll.The third photo is of the home which stands directly across the street from Netherwood. The main part of the house as seen here was the original Shady Dell District School No.8. The following photo was recently taken of the inside livingroom which used to be the Shady Dell one room school. Just outside the kitchen door you can still see some of the initials and the date "1894" carved in the siding by the former students.

         The present building, established in 1961, Netherwood Elementary School is a K-5 public school. It is located in Hyde Park, New York, in Dutchess County, 7 miles west of the Taconic State Parkway on Netherwood Road. Our school mascot is a Beaver. Our Principal is Ms. Christine Jamin.  Our previous principal, Mr. Wert, led Netherwood Elementary for 13 years. Our first principal, was Mr. James P. Anderson - the red maple tree at the front of the school is dedicated in his honor.  Other principals at Netherwood are Mr. Ralph Sciarra, Mr. Frank L. Moscoti, Ms. Connie Simms, Mr. J. Sherlock, Mr. John Kegan, Mr. Ray Barnum, Mr. Ron VanKleeck, Mr. John Hoctor, Mr. Robert Hess and Ms. Jillian McGahan.

          Netherwood is such an obviously old settlement that it's surprising that its name is relatively new, as Dutchess County place names go. The little settlement was called Baptist Corners first, then Kidnap Corners. It didn't become Netherwood until it acquired a Post Office, and then a woman did the naming.The original name, Baptist Corners, is entirely logical, for a Baptist Church was built there late in the 18th century on the half-acre of ground given by John Van Voorhees in 1790. However, the present church isn't the original one. That was built in 1863, on the approximate site of the original one.Baptist Corners became Kidnap Corners, at least informally, because of an incident which happened there many years ago. It seems that a man named Lawrence absolutely refused to permit his daughter to marry the man of her choice. So the young man came for her one night, and she climbed out of a window to elope with him.The large 1858 wall map of the county gives partial verification of that old story. It identifies the property north of the head of the dirt road which funds west from a few hundred feet north of the church as the property of J. Lawrence.In the late 19th century the federal government established small Post Offices with a lavish hand, either in stores or homes. One of these new Post Offices was in a farmhouse which was either the former home of J. Lawrence or nearby. By that time George Lamoree owned the property, and his son-in-law, Oscar Case, lived there. Oscar Case became the postmaster at the former Baptist Corners or Kidnap Corners and Mrs. Case...renamed the little settlement Netherwood. Three reasons were given for her selection. Some believe she named it for a village in New Jersey. Others believe she selected it simply because there was no the Netherwood in New York State, and so no danger of postal confusion. Still others think she coined the name to describe an area which is, in part, at least, low and woodsy....

Meet the Principal

Ms. Christine Jamin

Phone: 845.229.4055

Email:

Degrees and Certifications:

Ms. Christine Jamin

 Meet the new principal!

 
Christine Jamin joins Netherwood after 8 years as an administrator in the Arlington school district and 6 years as a science teacher in New York City. Prior to that she was the lead educator for elementary history and science programs aboard the sloop, Providence, a tall ship in Rhode Island. (She is definitely ready to be a Navigator!) Christine is excited about joining the Hyde Park community and looking forward to a return to work with elementary students. With two small children of her own, the joy and wonder of early education are part of her daily life. 
 
There will be meet the principal events the last two weeks of August. Check back for more details