Welcome to Haviland Middle School! In our building, students coming from the elementary level join together as one school community. Each morning students are greeted by our wonderful faculty and staff ready to support them academically, socially and emotionally. It is here that lifelong friendships are formed and young minds will apply the foundations of learning taught at the elementary level, developing their academic skills as they work toward graduation.
We have over 850 students, but our team-based structure per grade allows our teachers to get to know students individually, giving a small school feel that helps smooth the transition from elementary school. A dedicated staff of teachers, school counselors, school psychologists, social workers and administrators collaborate to set our students on a course to success. To build their sense of community, we encourage students to get involved and participate in our various clubs, activities and after school sports.
Inspirational quotes adorn our walls supporting our “Be Kind” initiative. This idea is a reminder of the importance of kindness, and we strive on a daily basis to walk the talk. As a school community, we aspire to spread kindness enhancing the middle school experience and school culture. Additionally, as a PBIS school, our students and staff are encouraged to “RISE Above!”: Respect, Inspire, be Safe, Excel.
Programs that reward exemplary behavior reinforce our “RISE Above!” expectations.
These programs, our staff, and so much more make Haviland Middle School a rewarding experience for our students. I am so very proud to welcome you to our school.
Haviland Middle School
23 Haviland Road, Hyde Park, NY 12538
2018 Be Kind
Created with Students
Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon
Created with Students and Staff
Dedicated by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1940, Haviland Middle School’s building originally housed the Hyde Park Central School District’s junior/senior high school.In 1964, the building was converted to the middle school when a new high school was built to meet the needs of a growing student population. The building is now named after Ben Haviland, a farmer who donated the land for the school.
Additional Points of Pride:
- Officer Tucker also provides support as the building School Resource Office (SRO). He is in our hallways taking preventative measures to reduce the need for more serious interventions. Officer Tucker is available to students and parents alike as a wonderful resource in our school.
- 1:1 Chromebook Initiative helps prepare our students for the demands of a technological and global community. Each student has his/her own dedicated device and can collaborate with teachers and classmates on assignments and interactive SMART board lessons.
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a program designed to support those first in their families to attend college along their educational journey with coaching and the development of academic skills.
- Robust music programs, musical productions, arts program, world languages, honors and accelerated classes, CTE instruction, MakerSpace, and more.
- An active and supportive PTA Makes the Experience for our students
The principal is Eric Shaw.
Assistant Principal, Paul Fazziola
Assistant Principal, Joseph Sullivan