Interested in becoming a candidate for the Board of Education of the Hyde Park Central School District? The district provides a Board Candidate Nominating Petition Packet which includes all of the information needed to run for an open seat on the BOE.
Board Member Nominating petitions are available, the Nominating Petition Packet can be printed from this page, or picked up at the District Office, 11 Boice Road, Hyde Park during regular business hours, M-F 8:30-3:30, or at any “in person” BOE meeting (when they resume). If you need other arrangements to obtain the packet please contact the District Clerk, jmikula@ hpcsd.org or by phone 845-229-4000 x 1001.
Nominating petitions are due in the District Office no later than Monday, April 19, 2021 at 5:00 pm with at least thirty-six (36) signatures of qualified voters of the district. Potential candidates are strongly encouraged to obtain more than 36 signatures to ensure that petitions include at least 36 valid signatures.
Board Member Election Information
Two of our current BOE members (Perry Sheldon and Carl Tomik) terms will expire on June 30, 2021. As a result, this year we will have two seats available at the BOE Member election. BOE members serve a three-year term commencing July 1, 2021 and expiring June 30, 2024. The Board member election will be held during the Budget Vote on May 18, 2021.
Board of Education member qualifications are:
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age, and not adjudged to be incompetent.
- Must be and have been a resident of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately preceding the election.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school district.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Anyone interested in becoming a candidate for the Board of Education of the Hyde Park Central School District will need to collect signatures. The district provides a Board Candidate Nominating Petition Packet which includes all of the information needed to run for an open seat on the BOE.
NYS School Boards Association (NYSSBA) has also provided the link below with information for potential Board Members:
Need more information? If you have any questions, about the vote or the voting process, please contact our District Clerk, Jay Mikula at 845-229-4000 x 1001. Official “Notices” of the Hyde Park Central School District for the Public Hearing on the Budget, Annual Meeting, School District Election and Voting on Propositions will be published in the official newspapers of the district and posted on the website once the BOE has adopted the proposed budget.